Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Serving Others


Yesterday morning I woke up, I made the bed just like I normally do, I headed for the kitchen to pour myself a cup of coffee. The coffee was already brewed, Justin was awake and he starts the coffee first thing in the morning, its a priority! 

My instinct was to serve myself. It's natural for me to think of myself before anyone else. I grabbed my adorable owl coffee cup that my mom gifted me before moving from Arizona, and I went to pour some delicious cream. Right then I heard God, He challenged me to do something for my husband before I did something for myself. Of course I want to obey God and I love my husband with all of my heart. I would do anything for my man. 

I immediately stopped thinking about myself and thought about Justin. Before I poured my cup of coffee, I decided to make him breakfast. I was going to make him breakfast that is, after I had at least a few sips of coffee. You see I do think of others, but there's something inside of us that wants us to be consumed with self. 

God challenged me to help my husband, to serve him, before I served myself. Justin wouldn't have minded if I would have had a sip of coffee; but God was working on changing me and I'm so glad!





This generation is consumed with self, as if it's not bad enough that we are selfish creatures by nature.
We think of ourselves first, we want to know how it will benefit us, we don't want others to inconvenience us, we don't want to take the time...the list goes on.

On the contrary, Jesus our perfect king, came down to earth and what He did still leaves me in wonder. Matthew 20:28 says it all, "Just as the Son of Man (Jesus) did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many." 
Luke 22:27 "For who is greater, he who sits at the table, or he who serves? Is it not he who sits at the table? Yet I am among you as the One who serves" Our king was a servant.

Galatians 5:13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

Jesus said, "If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor".
John 12:26

Jesus is the perfect example of what we should strive to be. I want to be more like Him daily, I want to serve others and be a blessing just as He was. No, I'm never going to be perfect on this earth. Our flesh is going to tempt us, but Christ has called us to something greater. First we have to be aware of what we are called to be.  Ultimately we are called to serve Christ and to serve others!

Romans 12:9-11
Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord. 

10 comments:

  1. Yes!!! Love this it is so hard for me sometimes to think of someone else in the little things thank you so much for sharing I love it! Thank God that he thinks of us even in the little things and helps us so that we can help and serve others
    I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it ! Crazy thing is I was just listening to a Christian author talking about this exact thing . And I agree with Hallie (guilty as charged ) . Keep em coming!!! 😘

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when you share the scriptures but this is even better!!! Thank you for opening your heart and home and serving God and his children!! Love and miss you bunches

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when you share the scriptures but this is even better!!! Thank you for opening your heart and home and serving God and his children!! Love and miss you bunches

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when you share the scriptures but this is even better!!! Thank you for opening your heart and home and serving God and his children!! Love and miss you bunches

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to remember when you do serve others & sometimes feel unappreciated- Jesus himself gave ALL for us to be mocked & spit upon & crucified. It is always better to give than to receive. Love your posts ;)

    ReplyDelete